Fans at the Evo 2015 (Evolution Championship Series) fighting game tournament in Las Vegas were overjoyed to receive news of the return of the extremely popular Street Fighter V which will come with 16 characters including Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li, Cammy and M. Bison, Charlie Nash and Birdie, bringing the total up to 44 characters and four new ones.
Of the four new characters, the company has only revealed a teaser of the first fighter called Necalli who uses a wide range of close range and savage attacks derived from the game’s Battle System mechanics. According to sneak peeks, Necalli can ‘pound the ground with both fists, creating an explosion that damages the enemy whereas the powerful V-Trigger allows him to channel a mysterious energy that changes his hair colour and alters his personality for a short period of time.’ Further information about his origin and story will be revealed gradually.
The only catch, players will have to fight in the Street Fighter universe and earn ‘Fight Money’ for free to unlock the new characters, or buy them in packs using real world money. The new Street Fighter V will be a full game. Its maker Capcom and series producer Yoshinori Ono have confirmed that there won’t be any new updated games after the original game is released for for PC and PlayStation 4 in 2016. The game however will have new free updated to improve the overall fame system and characters.
According to Capcom’s Peter Rosas, “Looking back on the Street Fighter IV series, we had always released bundles of content all at once, like with Super Street Fighter IV and Ultra Street Fighter IV. While these one-time updates did revive interest in the series every few years, it was difficult to keep players engaged for long periods of time unless they were competitive.”
The game comprises stunning graphics and characters in minute details and offers an engaging and fun combat experience with World Warriors. The new game will also offer cross-platform play with all fans being brought into a centralized player base, thanks to a partnership between Sony and Capcom. Here is a quick overview of the key features of Street Fighter V:
- New and Returning Characters: Birdie and Charlie Nash return to join classic characters like Ryu, Chun-Li, Cammy, and M. Bison. Necalli is the first of the four new characters to be added.
- New Strategies and Battle Mechanics: New battle mechanics based on V-Gauge and EX Gauge:
- V-Trigger: Uses the entire V-Gauge and can inflict damage when activated
- V-Skill: Utility skills for each character (can be activated at any time)
- V-Reversal: Counterattacks using one stock of the V-Gauge
- Critical Arts: Attacks using the entire EX Gauge
- PS4 and PC Cross-Platform Play: A single player pool or base for all
- Next Gen Visuals: Unreal Engine 4 technology enhances the visuals and graphics
- Rise up: The 2015 Capcom Pro Tour will host tournaments for Street Fighter players all over the world and includes a $500,000 prize.