How-To: Install iOS 4 GM, Jailbreak iPhone 3G and Enable Multitasking Support!
Apple recently announced the availability of iOS 4 Gold Master for the developers. Turns out, you don’t have to be a developer to be able to install and activate it on your iPod Touch 3G/2G, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS.
While iPhone 3GS users will be able to use all the new features and functionality of iOS 4 on their phones, iPhone 3G users will have to hack and edit a few text values to be able to unlock features like, Multitasking, Wallpaper etc..
iPhone 3G users will also have to jailbreak their phones to edit the text values and the good news is that the jailbreak for 3G already exists.
So, there is nothing to worry about. Smart and generous bloggers have already tried it out and have written a step-by-step tutorial for you to follow and complete all the tasks to be able to jailbreak, update to iOS 4 and unlock all the features of iOS 4 on iPhone 3G.
Few things you should know before you start following the steps to Jailbreak iOS 4 3G and Unlock iOS 4 features on 3G.
1) iOS 4 Jailbreak works on iPhone 3G only. If you are a iPhone 3GS user, wait a couple more days, dev-team has promised a release just in time for the official iOS 4 update.
2) iOS 4 requires iTunes 9.2 to activate and Sync
3) iTunes 9.2 beta is available on Mac OS only. PC users, Sorry!
4) hmmm.. well, that’s all you got to know before you start!
Install iOS 4 on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, iPod Touch 3G and 2G
- iPhone 3GS: Click here to download iOS 4 GM
- iPhone 3G: Click here to download iOS 4 GM
- iPod Touch 3G: Click here to download iOS 4 GM
- iPod Touch 2G: Click here to download iOS 4 GM
Disclaimer: Download and use file at your own risk.
Once you are done with downloading and installing iTunes 9.2 and have the firmware that goes with your device.
- Launch iTunes 9.2
- Click on your iDevice under “Device” from the bar on left
- ALT+Click on “Restore” button
- Select the IPSW file you just downloaded for your device
- Sit back and relax for 5-7 minutes once your device restarts it will be running on iOS 4
If you are a iPhone 3GS user, stop reading here because there is no Jailbreak for iPhone 3GS available yet and all the iOS 4 features are already functional on the device without any further edits.
Next up for the iPhone 3G users is iPhone 3G Jailbreak (No Jailbreak for iPhone 3GS, yet! Remember?).
Congratulations, your iDevice is now updated to iOS4 and iPhone 3G users have it Jailbreak too!
When iOS 4 was initially announced, Steve, mentioned that certain features like Multitasking and Wallpaper will not work on iPhone 3G for whatever reasons. It turns out, these features work on iPhone 3G with a simple edit to the N82AP.plist file.
Adding the following values (text) to the N82AP.plist (in /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/) file will enable Multitasking and Wallpaper support on iPhone 3G.
Folks at PixelatedGeek have it all figured out. They have good graphical step-by-step instructions on how to do this.
Find this “Now if you’re not comfortable messing around with plist files” text on this link at PixelatedGeek and start following the instructions to enable Multitasking and Wallpaper feature on the iPhone 3G.
Hope this was helpful for iOS 4 upgrade and unlocking the features on iPhone 3G!
Update: Changed ”Folders” to “Wallpaper” – Thanks for pointing that out Ivan